Australian Industry Group 2018: Skilling a National Imperative
26 Nov 2018
The Australian Industry Group has released their 2018 survey report on the Australian workforce development needs. Of interest in this report:
- 75 percent of employers report skills shortages, most often in the technician and trades worker category
- The need for digital skills across various levels of occupations
- 99 percent of employers saying they are affected in some way by low levels of literacy and numeracy in their workforce with 39 percent of them saying they are ‘highly’ affected.
Low levels of literacy and numeracy impact on:
- Poor completion of workplace documents / reports (55 percent)
- Team work and communication (50 percent)
- Time wasting (32 percent)
- Material and wastage errors (31 percent)
- Potential for workplace injuries and unsafe work practice (26 percent).
You can read the full report here.