Solving the problem
Workplace literacy and numeracy training programmes can deliver impressive results. New Zealand employers have noted the following improvements:
- better oral communication skills
- improved reading and writing skills to enable correct form-filling and understanding of workplace documentation
- fewer workplace accidents and a stronger emphasis on safety
- improved skills in technology, for example, better accuracy in keying in information on a computer
- increased understanding of workplace processes with a greater emphasis on how each person contributes to quality
- less absenteeism
- improved confidence
- improved quality control.
As the success stories suggest, organisations that introduce literacy and numeracy programmes often realise increased productivity and an improved workplace culture.